What’s better than a one pot meal?
Really… there’s not a whole lot. Especially when said pot is filled with pasta, chicken, spinach, parmesan, and loads of garlic.
Bahhhh it’s just too much for words, you guys.
So allow me to just taunt you with photo after photo of this cheesy delight called Parmesan Garlic Chicken Pasta Bake. Yup, that’s what we have going today, and it’s as good as it sounds.
Maybe better. It’s like a warm sweater. One bite and you’re wrapped in a big, comforting hug of deliciousness.
But who stops at one bite? Certainly not me. It’s likely I’ll be eating this for dinner every night for 3 or 4 days, and I’m rather pleased about it. That’s what so great about these cozy fall meals – they make big batches and they warm a chilly soul after work each and every night.
It’s Wisconsin, friends, and we love our one pot meals loaded with cheese.
Let’s do this.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 8 oz. bag fresh baby spinach or kale
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. whole grain tubular pasta
- 4 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 ½ cups evaporated milk (1 ½ - 12 oz. cans)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 ½ - 2 cups shredded white cheese (Gruyere, gouda, white cheddar), divided
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large oven-safe saute pan. Add cubed chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is opaque. Add spinach/kale and saute 2-3 minutes, until mostly wilted. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Pour in the stock and pasta and bring to a simmer. Season with additional salt and pepper. Place a lid on the pot and cook 7-8 minutes, until pasta is al dente, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, whisk together evaporated milk and corn starch. Once pasta is cooked, stir in milk and cornstarch mixture and allow to simmer 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 cup shredded white cheese and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top evenly with remaining white cheese, Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Turn oven on a low broil and continue cooking for 2 minutes, until breadcrumbs are browned. Top with chopped parsley.