How do you feel about a grain bowl for lunch every day this week? Picture this: You prep a saucepan full of kamut, or whatever ancient grain you love. You broil a pound of salmon, which takes no time at all, really. Then you slice up some cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and red onion. And you layer it in bowls with fresh mozzarella and feta [yes, both] and sliced avocado.
Wait, is avocado Mediterranean? Not exactly, but it’s absolutely delicious in this bowl. So, moving on.
And the last step is to whip up a batch of lemon vinaigrette = fresh lemon zest and juice, olive oil and s/p, and drizzle it alllll over everything + a garnish of fresh basil, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes.
So with that, you basically have Mediterranean Grain Bowls with Salmon for lunch every day this week. It’s, like… voila, lunch for a week.
I wasn’t lying, because I wouldn’t do that to you.
And you guys. These bowls have incredible flavor and so much texture. It’s like a party in your mouth. Think about it… Hearty kamut, melt-in-your-mouth salmon, silky avocado, briny olives and feta, juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, fresh basil, tart lemon vinaigrette with a touch of spice. Yup, it’s pretty much a party.
Not to mention it’s all incredibly healthy, and you’re going to love it!
Grain bowlz for life.
- 1 ½ cups kamut or ancient grain
- 4 (4-6 oz.) filets salmon, skinned
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 4 oz. feta, crumbled
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ½ cups cucumber, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Pinch each crushed red pepper flakes and dried oregano leaves
- Prepare kamut or ancient grain according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to a low broil.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Place under the broiler and cook 5-7 minutes, until salmon flakes easily with a fork. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To assemble bowls, spoon kamut or other ancient grain into 4 bowls. Place salmon, mozzarella slices and chunks of feta on top of the kamut. Arrange cherry tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, Kalamata olives and red onion on top of cheeses.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, zest and juice of lemon and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Drizzle dressing over each bowl and top with fresh basil leaves and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and oregano, and an additional pinch of salt and black pepper.