It’s clear I have 2 major obsessions: Pasta and soup.
Well, I am obsessed with food in general, but after looking through my past recipes, I realize that I have an inordinate number of pasta and soup recipes. I am not mad or upset about it, and I hope you aren’t either. It’s just a simple observation. I just love pasta and soups because they are so easy to make in a short amount of time (although soups and pasta sauces are tastiest on day 2 and 3) and there are limitless combinations of veggies, sauces, proteins, etc for both dishes. I mean, what is better in life than simple and delicious?
And so today, I have a ridiculously simple pasta dish that is a combination of two of my favorite past recipes: Simple Spaghetti with Garlic, Peas & Parmesan and Lemon Ricotta Pasta. Well, if we really look at these recipes, it’s not a perfect marriage of the two pasta dishes, but it’s pretty darn close. But this pasta features my favorite spring veggie: asparagus.
You know, the green, stalky vegetable that grows in ditches? Yes, that one. Regardless of where it comes from, it’s incredible. And it’s the perfect excuse to eat lemony spaghetti because they go so inherently well together. Asparagus + lemon + spaghetti, oh my!
Well, + garlic + Parmesan + egg yolk.
Wait… egg yolk in pasta? Yes, egg yolk. And if you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time. It’s like making sauce for carbonara, but I just do it anytime I make a pasta like this one because it creates the most silky, creamy sauce… without cream. It’s amazing. It’s not new, but it is dynamite. Also, don’t forget to save a little of the pasta water because it also contributes to that silky, creamy egg yolk sauce (and of course the lemon and garlic and Parmesan).
Gahhhhh, it’s so good!
So go make a big bowl, and twirl it all up on your fork like dis!
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 in. pieces on a bias
- 1 lb. whole grain spaghetti
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + more for garnish
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and juice of 2 medium lemons
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded + more for garnish
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch asparagus for 2-3 minutes. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon and shock in a large bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Add spaghetti to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain spaghetti, reserving about 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat ¼ cup olive oil to medium-high. Add garlic and sauté 60-90 seconds, until fragrant. Add lemon zest and juice. Add 1 cup pasta water and bring to a simmer for about a minute, allowing it to slightly thicken. Add spaghetti back into the pot and toss with a generous dash of salt and black pepper. Shut off the heat.
- Add egg yolks and toss, using tongs. Add ½ cup Parmesan cheese and continue to toss the pasta, until it forms a creamy sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Add asparagus and toss to combine.
- Distribute pasta into bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil, Parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
- *Add cooked salmon or chicken to make this a complete dish.