It’s the 4th of July, ya’ll!
Well, almost. And this little strawberry tart definitely needs to make an appearance on your menu.
But seriously. How is it 4th of July already? I had to stop and think the other day… is it Memorial weekend? Or 4th of July weekend? Which is sad, but it’s true. Days are just flying by.
Either way, I am so excited to re-share this tart. I posted it last summer, and submitted it to Madison Magazine hoping they’d feature it in their July issue. And you guys. THEY FEATURED IT IN THEIR JULY ISSUE. How freaking cool is that? So if you’re in the area, grab one off the stands and let me know how it looks (!!!!!)
Also, I just know you’ll love it because it’s:
See! I just knew you’d love it.
Oh, and happy 4th of July, friends!
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 6 Tbsp. cold salted butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. honey or granulated sugar, divided
- 5-6 Tbsp. ice water
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup half & half
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 2 Tbsp. each fresh basil and mint, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place oats, butter and 2 tablespoons honey/sugar in a food processor. Pulse while adding one tablespoon of ice water at a time, until the mixture forms a ball. Remove tart dough and place in an ungreased 12-inch tart pan. Press the dough evenly into the pan, taking care to push the crust into indentations on the sides. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crust is crispy and browned on the edges. Allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix sliced strawberries with balsamic vinegar and 2 teaspoons honey/sugar until combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip half and half on high until fluffy. Add a dollop of mascarpone at a time until the mixture is smooth and stiff. Mix in the vanilla bean paste and remaining tablespoon honey/sugar until incorporated. Set aside.
- To assemble the tart, fill cooled shell with three-quarters of the strawberry filling. Top with mascarpone whip and garnish with remaining strawberries, basil and mint. Remove finished tart from the pan; slice and serve.