I am incredibly over this winter-like weather.
I mean, I can’t complain too much, because we did have a very mild winter. But, I am [so… just so] ready for some sunshine and warmth. You know, those days when you can wear a t-shirt, leggings and flats and feel incredibly comfortable walking outdoors. That’s what I’m craving, folks.
And also, guess what else happens on those warm, sunny days? Garden planting! Yes, little tiny seeds will be dropped off, just so, in rows, in my beautiful [new] raised garden beds! Well, they aren’t new, but they’re new to me. And next door to those beds sits another bed FULL of strawberry plants. How exciting is that? [Cue 75 strawberry recipes, starting in just a few short weeks.]
But anyway, what gets me SO excited, is that this bed full of vegetables will eventually give us: 1) Veggies. Obviously. and 2) This salad.
Yes, those beautiful veggies from our garden will translate into one AMAZING heap of salad. A salad that is beyond words. A salad that is unlike any other. A salad that will make you ask for more…. salad. It’s chuck full of beautiful snap peas, crunchy green beans, shreds of sweet carrot, and tons of herbaciousness. A.K.A. fresh basil and minty freshness. And then there’s this giant pearl of fresh burrata, which if you haven’t tried… you’re seriously missing out on life. Because inside the pearl is an oozy, creamy center that will make you forget any other cheese exists in this world.
Okay, maybe not completely forget. But almost.
And all that fabulousness is drizzled with the most perfectly-simple lemon vinaigrette and topped with salty, nutty pistachios. And a smattering of freshly ground pepper and flaky salt.
It’s springtime on a plate, man. You’re gonna dig it.
Or dig in.
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed, strings removed
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula (optional)
- ½ lb. ball fresh Burrata or fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1. Whisk together fresh lemon zest and juice, honey, olive oil and a dash of salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- 2. Add peas, green beans, carrots, arugula (if using), basil and mint in the bowl and toss with the dressing.
- 3. Tear open ball of burrata and arrange on a platter. Top with salad, sprinkle with additional coarse salt and ground black pepper, and garnish with pistachios.