This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HorizonLunch #CollectiveBias
It’s Sunday evening, and it’s been a super fun and busy weekend full of floating in the lake, music, dinner with friends, coffee, gardening, working in the yard and a nap. Yessssss, a nap. I don’t take naps very often, but Friday evening I was completely cashed and just had to do it. And let me tell you – it was glorious. I need to do that more often, I’m 500% sure.
I also spent loads of time cooking today and feel like I’m pretty ready for the week. At least when it comes to eating, a.k.a. meals/snacks/cookies. Cookies = meals and snacks, by the way.
So basically, let’s just go ahead and talk about the cookies. They’re called breakfast cookies because anytime I add breakfast to the name of a dessert, it automatically make my feel good about eating it for breakfast. But let’s be honest here: these cookies are filled with wholesome ingredients and are super filling, so they really are perfect for breakfast, and even for a snack or something that’s a tad sweet to have at lunchtime. Really they’re perfect for any time of the day when your belly needs a little somethin’ somethin’. What I also love about these cookies is they have deliciously creamy yogurt in the batter, which means they’re filled with active cultures (yo, probiotics) and also make them more breakfasty. Yay! And not just any yogurt – Horizon® Organic Yogurt. Their adorable little yogurt cups are perfect to add to this cookie batter, toss in a lunchbox or to have on-the-go for those crazy school days that are just around the corner (or for any working adult who loves cute yogurt cups filled with delicious yogurt), plus there are 5 delish flavors to choose from so everyone’ll be happy.
Even though the cookie batter itself is lick-the-spoonable, the mix-ins take the cookies to the next level. The mix-in possibilities are endless, but here are three of my faves:
- Dark chocolate chips + coconut flakes
- Mashed banana + fresh blueberries (or frozen)
- Peanut butter + strawberry preserves
Yes, yes, yes! The hubs couldn’t get enough of the PB&J – because who could? – but I think the coconut and dark chocolate MIGHT be my very fave. I don’t know though, it’s so hard to decide.
Needless to say, I know you’ll find your fave mix-ins and will love these lil morsels of breakfast cookie goodness.
Go ahead – pack your lunch, and feel free to take naps as needed.
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat flour)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips + 2-3 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ small banana, smashed + ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter + 2 Tbsp. strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together oil and brown sugar, until fluffy. Whisk in eggs, until incorporated, then whisk in vanilla yogurt and vanilla extract. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in desired mix-ins. Scoop dough using a 2-inch cookie scoop, about 1-inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake 9-12 minutes. Allow to slightly cool.