What’s your favorite meal of the day?
Several years ago I would’ve never said breakfast. But now, I can confidently say that I’m a huge fan of breakfast. Especially breakfast food… and beverages. I will admit that I didn’t start drinking coffee or tea until I was about 2 years into my career (I think I was 27). But looking back, I honestly have no idea how I made it through life without it. Not only do I love the little jolt caffeine gives me, but I sincerely love the taste of coffee and coffee drinks (lattes, Americanos, macchiatos – you name it). Drinking these types of beverages in the morning (especially iced) makes me SO happy.
So then it makes complete sense to combine one of my favorite breakfast foods – oatmeal – with a coffee drink. More specifically, a chai tea latte (have you seen those pre-made ones?!) I can’t come up with any legit reason not to toss together some old-fashioned oats, chia seeds and a little maple syrup with a delicious tea latte – that’s made with real cream and real sugar – and let it sit overnight for a ready-to-eat stellar breakfast. No microwave or stove or oven required, and breakfast is served. And it’s quick and simple for those chaotic mornings (aren’t they all?).
I’m also always trying to incorporate more and more veggies and fruits into my diet, and sometimes I struggle to do so with breakfast. So I decided to take one of my favorite muffin recipes – Morning Glory – and put the ingredient combo into my chai overnight oats. That means carrots, apples, coconut, raisins and walnuts. YES, YES, YES. It gives me fruits and veggies for breakfast, and it gives me DELICIOUS.
I am so, so grateful for simple overnight oats laced with chai tea lattes, and so, so thankful for morning glory anything.
Give it a try, folks!
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1-2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup + more for serving
- 1 ¾ cups vanilla chai tea latte (16 oz. bottle)
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots, divided
- 1 medium apple, diced, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- ½ cup raisins, divided
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together oats, chia seeds, maple syrup, chai latte, milk and salt. Stir in half of the carrots, apple, coconut and raisins. Transfer to jars with a lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Top overnight oats with remaining carrots, apples, coconut, raisins and walnuts and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- *Store overnight oats in an airtight container for 3-4 days.