Ya’ll know I’m a huge fan of pasta.
Today, there is more pasta. And this time, it’s a mash-up of lasagna and ravioli. Whaaaaaaat?? You say? Yes, a mash-up. So that means, we’re stacking up fresh ravioli with marinara-cottage cheese-egg-spices, pesto, CHEESE, zucchini and more CHEESE. So basically, the ravioli takes place of the lasagna noodles, but everything else about it is basically lasagna. How cool is that?? Okay, maybe I’m the only one who nerds-out about these things, but seriously… it’s so good.
And I highlighted / emphasized / bolded (is that a word?) cheese for a reason. And that reason is Crave Brothers. They make all sorts of fresh mozzarella right here in Waterloo, WI, which happens to be about 20 minutes from my house. I had the privilege of touring their farm and seeing the adorable baby cows, and they prepared a delicious five-course dinner with, you guessed it, lots of cheese. They have mozzarella in an 8 oz. ball and also mini balls, both regular and marinated (to-die-for) and mozzarella ropes, as well as mascarpone. Their stuff is basically cheese heaven.
Ya know what’s also great about this recipe – other than the fact that it’s packed with fresh mozzarella and is a mash-up of 2 fab Italian dishes – is that it’s mini. Meaning I used a muffin tin to build teeny-tiny lasagnas so that everyone can have their own (or 3 of their own). Meaning it’s perfect for kids, and adults who act like kids (me). And each little cup has its own mound of cheese on top that’s broiled to perfection, and stuff.
So what’s up? Are you gonna try Mini Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna Cups?
*Pulls fork out of lasagna cup with a giant melty cheese string and shoves it in mouth*
- 9 oz. package fresh spinach or whole wheat ravioli
- ¾ cup marinara
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup pesto
- 8 oz. ball Crave Brothers fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ½ small zucchini, thinly sliced and cut into squares
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp. fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare ravioli according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, mix together marinara, cottage cheese, eggs, oregano, salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a bowl until combined.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Assemble each cup by layering a scoop of marinara mixture, ravioli, a scoop of pesto, a slice of fresh mozzarella, a square of zucchini, another ravioli and another scoop of marinara mixture. Top with about a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella. Bake 12-14 minutes. Turn oven to high broil and cook additional 2 minutes, until cheese is browned.
- Allow to slightly cool, then remove each lasagna cup and garnish with chopped parsley.