So it’s Labor Day.
Like, how in the world did that happen? We blinked, and summer is over. Well, sort of. I’m still pretending like September is summer, just because… I can. It’s still 80 degrees out, and super sunny and we have a long weekend ahead of us to enjoy it.
And there’s also plenty of delicious summer produce to use in our most favorite dishes. In fact, my garden is just flourishing at the moment, especially with heirloom sweet corn, tomatoes of all sorts (remember last week’s ‘Fried’ Green Tomato BLTs?), summer squash, tomatillos and bell peppers. See! Summer is, in fact, not over.
So with that said, I just felt the need to make something ridiculously amazing with my heirloom sweet corn. Something Ridiculously Amazing = Mexican Street Corn Pie. Yahhhsssss, you guys. Street corn is so delish, and I’ve made it 512 times this summer in the form of Mexican Street Corn Salad. I’ve also made Natural Comfort Kitchen’s Cheddar Sweet Corn Pie 512 times, and I thought…. let’s just put these two things together. I mean, it only makes perfect sense.
Doesn’t it just look so fantastic? And there’s good news. It also smells and TASTES fantastic. Like, so good, I really don’t need anything else to eat this entire weekend. This pie = mine.
It’s all of the things you expect from street corn: fresh, heirloom sweet corn, garden jalapenos and cilantro, crumbly Mexican queso fresco, chili powder and tart lime juice. All in pie form. Gosh, I really hope you try it this weekend and fall in absolute love.
I know I did.
- 1 Tbsp. butter or oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 cups sweet corn (about 6-7 ears), cooked and cut off the ear
- 2/3 cup lowfat milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Zest of 2 medium limes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar and/or Mexican blend cheeses
- 1 cup queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar or Mexican blend cheeses
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a deep-dish pie pan and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add onion and jalapeno and saute 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix corn, milk, eggs, breadcrumbs, chili powder, salt, pepper and lime zest. Stir together until combined. Fold in cilantro, cheeses and onion/jalapeno mixture. Pour into greased pie pan and bake 35-40 minutes, until set.
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, breadcrumbs, cheese and cilantro. Once pie is baked, sprinkle topping on pie. Turn oven to a low broil and broil pie with topping for 2 minutes, until browned and bubbly.