I received free samples of Libby’s ® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s ® and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
What are your thoughts on soup in the summer?
You know how much I love soup (exhibit A, B & C), and even when it’s the middle of summer and super mega hot, I still love a good bowl of soup. It seems like a lot of people like soup because it warms them up in the cold winter months, but I find soup equally satisfying all-year-round, especially when it’s reminiscent of one of my favorite summer salads.
Yes, I’m referring to Mexican Street Corn Salad (remember last year when I made this salad into a pie?). It’s packed with sweet corn, onion, jalapeno, lime, cilantro and Queso fresco, so how can it not be absolutely delicious? And because I love mashing up my favorite dishes into something new and exciting, why not make a summer chowder with these same flavors?
I can’t think of any valid reason to say no right now, you guys.
I also love how versatile this chowder recipe is, because even though sweet corn is in season right now (and it’s bursting with juiciness), but what’s awesome is the canned variety (I choose Libby’s!) can easily be used, and it’s equally delicious! That means YOU (and I) can have this summer Mexican Sweet Corn Chowder year round.
And all that really matters is that this dish tastes like summer freshness wrapped up in a bowl of chowder, and it takes less than 30 minutes to throw together.
Cheers to refreshing bowls of sweet corn chowder, friends!
- 1 ½ Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
- 3 ½ cups Libby's Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- 1 ½ cups unsalted vegetable stock
- Zest and juice of ½ medium lime
- ¾ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Optional toppings: crumbled Queso fresco, chopped cilantro, green onion, sliced jalapeno, sliced avocado
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or small stock pot to medium heat. Add onion and saute 2-3 minutes, then add jalapeno and saute 2-3 more minutes, until soft. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin. Add sweet corn and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer for ~10 minutes. Season with salt.
- Scoop half of the chowder into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the pureed mixture back into the pot. Stir in lime zest and juice and Greek yogurt/sour cream. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Scoop chowder into bowls and serve with Queso fresco, cilantro, green onion and/or jalapeno (optional).