Who doesn’t love breakfast sausage?
I know I absolutely love it, and think it’s an easy way to add a ton of flavor to breakfast dishes (and you know I love breakfast).
I also love creating my very own breakfast sausage because I am in charge of what goes into it, yay! That means pure deliciousness and zero additives, preservatives and generally fake ingredients (i.e. we can all pronounce every ingredient in this recipe).
Homemade breakfast sausage makes it the best day ever!
So what’s in this magical sausage?
- Ground turkey and pork (a little lean and a little fat = perf)
- Maple syrup (for that sweetness and maple flave)
- Fennel, oregano and black pepper (to be sausage, you need it)
- Crushed red pepper flakes (heat, yo)
And the perfect amount of salt. That’s it! Sausage heaven is just around the corner, folks.
Also, don’t forget to get the pan nice a hot to create a nice brown crust on both sides of the sausage patties.
And if you don’t eat all the sausage patties ASAP, go ahead and throw ’em on a breakfast sandwich with toasted sourdough, a fried egg, a slice of muenster and avocado slices.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 ½ Tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 ¼ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Combine turkey, pork, maple syrup and seasonings in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly, then form into small patties.
- Place patties into the hot skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, until each side is browned and crispy and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- *Note: Cooked breakfast sausage patties can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months and reheated.