Guys. This is the BLT to beat all other BLTs.
And if you think about it, that’s a really difficult job. Toasted sourdough bread with juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce, smoky bacon and creamy mayo is quite possibly one of the most delicious combinations on earth.
It’s just one of those sandwiches that is a must-have in the summer, because there is no better vehicle for the perfect tomato than this. Just, yum.
And the cool thing about this special BLT is we have a double tomato situation going on: crunchy, yet juicy ‘fried’ green tomatoes + fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes that are melt-in-your mouth. So for those of you who have tomatoes coming out of your you-know-whats, this is the perfect solution for such an amazing problem.
If your garden is anything like mine, you have new tomatoes showing up on a daily basis, an abundance of plump green ones, and a handful of bright red ones just itching to be picked. Most of my green tomatoes stayed green for-ev-er because of a nearby zucchini plant that wanted to take over the world. But I trimmed it down, and now the tomatoes are turning red, meaning there will be so much salsa in the near future.
But in the meantime, I just couldn’t resist picking a few of the green ones so they could be ‘fried’. And when I say ‘fried’, I mean they are dipped in flour, egg wash and panko and lined up on a wire rack and are baked and broiled to golden perfection. Who needs a deep fryer?
I am just totally sold on this whole fried green tomato thing. Like I said… just, yum.
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced ½ in. thick
- Coarse salt
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 8-12 slices bacon
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup greens (arugula, spinach, lettuce)
- 2 ripe red tomatoes, sliced ½ in. thick
- Line green tomatoes on a kitchen towel. Sprinkle generously with salt and allow to sit 10 minutes. Pat tomatoes dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place flour in a small bowl and toss with half the black pepper. In another small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Place bread crumbs in a third small bowl and toss with remaining pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Dip green tomatoes slices in flour, then egg wash, then panko. Place on baking sheet with fitted rack, 1 inch apart. Coat top of tomatoes with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes, then flip. Coat with cooking spray and bake 10 additional minutes. Turn oven to a low broil and cook 2 more minutes, until browned and crispy. Flip again and broil other side for 2 minutes, until browned and crispy. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool.
- In the meantime, cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Place on a paper towel.
- Toast sourdough bread, then spread one side of each piece with mayonnaise. Arrange greens on four pieces, then top with fried green tomatoes, bacon, and red tomato slices. Top with other slice of bread to make 4 sandwiches.