Get ready for a plethora of chocolate cake.
Photos, that is. Which, I find my plethora comment ironic given that this recipe is suitable for 2 (or let’s be real… one). I just went a little crazy here, because this lil mug of dessert is just so adorable that I couldn’t stop snapping pics of it to share with you.
I mean, seriously. How cute is this mug cake?!
So it’s a mixture of quick oats, dark cocoa powder, cold brew coffee (Cadence style), dark chocolate chips and a few other standard cake ingredients. Once it’s mixed together, the batter goes into a cute coffee mug and a quick 90 second trip in the microwave. And voila! You have a Cup of Dark Chocolate Espresso Cake.
You guys think I’m crazy, right? A few ingredients and less than 2 minutes in the microwave CAN make a deliciously moist cake. I didn’t believe it either, until I stuck my fork in, took a (big) bite, and was sent to heaven for a couple of chews. It’s SO good, you’ll just have to try it for yourself if you don’t believe me.
I really can’t think of a better way to spend 2 minutes.
And let’s just go ahead and say this is suitable for breakfast since it 1) gives a sweet little caffeine boost and 2) contains oats.
Sounds like breakfast to me.
- ¼ cup quick oats
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2-3 Tbsp. sweetener (of choice)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Pinch coarse salt
- ¼ cup cold brew coffee
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together quick oats, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together coffee, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with dry and whisk, just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat a large microwaveable coffee mug with cooking spray. Pour batter into mug. Microwave on high for 90 seconds.