Christmas, that is. And muffins! What a great day to be alive. Two of my absolute favorite things, all in one weekend. Which is about to become many of my favorite things in one weekend: family, friends, Christmas parties, FOOD, cute presents, Home Alone, board games, and more food. You get my point! Just so much to be excited about right now.
But I have no say, there is one thing I’m sad about. And it’s leaving my babies home for the weekend. Babies = cats. Yes, they’re staying home alone for Christmas, and every year I feel bad about it. They’re totally fine, you guys, but I’m not. I wish someday soon they could snuggle with us for the holidays, but Kobe is SO not a car-riding cat, and Felix is just plain trouble. No worries, tho. We left them lots of food and water and will smother the crap out of them when we get back home.
Anyway. Back to the muffins, as you probably aren’t interested in hearing my whine about not seeing my fur babies for a few days. Sigh…
So the muffins are super great, you guys. They’re packed with cranberries, which I am only mildly obsessed with these days. Okay maybe more than mildly, but you get it. Last time they were in bread pudding, and this time they’re in crumbly, tender and crunchy muffins that are so so so good. Each bite of a cranberry gives you a burst of tartness, which makes them incredible, because it’s surrounded by a hint of brown sugary sweetness, a bite of ginger and wholesome oateyness (nope, not a real word). And they’re topped with slivered almonds, more oats and brown sugar, warm cinnamon and butter. How can anything go wrong?
The point is: You’ll really love these muffins.
Also. I hope you have the BEST Christmas ever! Xoxo.
- ¼ cup rolled old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup heart-healthy oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour (or ground oats)*
- ½ cup rolled old-fashioned oats
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla extract until combined.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger. Pour dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and whisk together until just combined. Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into the wells of a greased 9-cup muffin tin, about ¾ of the way full. Top with a scoop of the oat/almond topping. Bake 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- *You can substitute any flour.