It’s officially soup season, and I really don’t care if it’s soup season of not – I’ll still eat soup – but I’m still pumped. When people ask me “what is your favorite thing to cook?”, I immediately respond with “soup”. I love cooking everything (and even baking now!), but there is just something therapeutic about making soup. It’s no-hassle, I can use up ingredients from my fridge and pantry, it makes the house smell amazing and it just warms the soul. There are no boundaries or rules and everything is free game (now you know why I like it).
I also love the endless topping options for soup: cheese, greens, nuts, fresh herbs, POPCORN, avocado, fruit, chips, and the list goes on. One of my most recent favorite soup toppings? Micro greens. Whatever kind they have in the store or at the market works for me. They just make the soup look GORGEOUS and give it a giant, refreshing hug.
Today’s soup du jour is Chicken, Poblano & Roasted Sweet Corn Soup. There are so many flavors and textures going on: the toasty fresh sweet corn kernels, hearty black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, spicy poblanos and juicy chicken thighs are really the stars of the show. Then it’s topped with those beautiful micro greens, sliced avocado and a handful of crushed tortilla chips (even more amazing textures). It’s totally a flavor explosion, and I’m certain you’ll love it.
Also a few extra tips: If you have an immersion blender, give it a quick whirl in the soup pot to create an even more velvety texture and a bit more heartiness. You don’t want to over-blend the soup so there aren’t any full chunks left, you just want a little whirl to thicken it up. Trust me on this one. And, if you want an extra pop of roasty-toastyness, you can roast the poblanos on an open flame, let them sit in a closed container for 10 minutes (to steam), peel the burnt skin, then dice the poblanos to go in the soup. It’s an extra step, but it’s very much worth it. Also, check out BruBroth if you’re looking for a concentrated, delicious stock/broth to use in all your fall soups!
Dive right into soup season, folks.
This post contains affiliate links.
- 3 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium poblano, seeded and finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- Tortilla strips, avocado & micro greens, for serving
- Preheat oven to low broil. Brush sweet corn with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Broil on low 10 minutes, turning regularly, until toasted. Remove and let slightly cool, then slice corn off the cob. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place in the hot oil and cook 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned. Place chicken on the cutting board, let sit 5 minutes, then chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Place onion in the hot oil and cook on medium 3-4 minutes. Add poblano and cook 2-3 minutes, until onions and poblanos are soft. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin until fragrant. Stir in chicken, roasted sweet corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies and chicken stock. Season with ½ - 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Run an immersion blender in the pot of soup for a few seconds, just long enough to thicken the soup.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, avocado and micro greens.