This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WasteNoPaste #CollectiveBias
Hey you guys! Are you excited about Cheesy Lasagna Soup?
If you’re not sold just by looking at the melted, bubbly cheese in the photo, let me tell you a little bit more about it.
It all starts with sauteed onion, turkey Italian sausage, garlic and a handful of greens. Basically, the most flavorful start to a recipe… like, ever. Once the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes are thrown in there, it’s like an explosion of goodness. Then, you’ll need some tomato paste, and what’s great is this new product called Hunt’s Recipe Ready “Pre-measure 2TBS” Paste Pouches! It’s a box of pouches that are pre-measured to 2 tablespoons, which is the typical amount used in recipes. You’ll never waste a half a can of tomato paste again! (I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done that.) So it’s basically really convenient and practical. And tasty. SCORE.
So after that, all you need is a jar of your favorite marinara, chicken stock and lasagna noodles. Sounds a lot like lasagna, am I right?
The other great thing is the cheesy topping (!!) It’s a delicious mixture of ricotta and mozzarella with a pinch of Italian seasoning. If you’re feeling crafty, scoop the lasagna soup into soup crocks or ramekins with a dollop of the ricotta mixture and broil it to your melty, cheesy heart’s delight. It’s adorable, really.
Now it sounds a whole lot like Cheesy Lasagna Soup.
So next time you’re out shopping, grab a box of the tomato paste pouches (brilliant!) and create mini lasagna soups with a pillowy topping of cheese, mmkay?
You’ll love it.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. turkey Italian sausage
- 2 cups spinach or kale
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning + more for taste
- ½-¾ tsp. coarse salt + more for taste
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper + more for taste
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. Hunt’s tomato paste
- 1 (24 oz.) jar marinara
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 5 whole grain lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes, until soft. Add Italian sausage and cook until almost browned. Add greens and garlic and saute 2-3 minutes, until greens are wilted. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and tomato paste. Add marinara and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add lasagna noodle pieces. Cover and cook on a simmer for 15-20 minutes, until noodles are softened. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Preheat broiler to low. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese, and season with a dash of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Coat 8 soup crocks or ramekins* with cooking spray. Scoop soup into each. Top with a large scoop of ricotta mixture. Place all soup crocks/ramekins on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and broil 5-6 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with parsley.
- *Note: If you don’t have soup crocks or ramekins, place ricotta mixture on top of soup in the large stock pot or Dutch oven, and place the entire pot (if oven safe) in the oven and broil 5-6 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.