It’s Thursday night, which means I only feel like spending about 10 minutes cooking.
It’s just that point in the week when I’m exhausted from all the craziness of work and life, and just want to sit on the couch with a plate of fluffy, delicious pancakes to sink my teeth into and a fuzzy kitten to cuddle with. I just cannot think of a better Thursday night.
And just so we’re clear, these are not just any ordinary pancakes (even though ordinary pancakes are fabulous). But these are extraordinary pancakes. I mean, it’s basically like having a chai latte in pancake form. And everyone loves chai lattes, right? It’s the perfect blend of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger and pepper, swirled into buttermilk pancake batter that puffs up just the right amount and gets perfectly crispy and brown on the outside when poured into a hot skillet.
THOSE SPECKLES, tho.
And to top that off [no pun intended] is velvety sweet and tangy vanilla yogurt and crunchy, nutty walnuts. Does it get any better??
I could seriously eat this entire stack of pancakes, but I won’t. I’ll share with my hubs and anyone else who wants pancakes on a Thursday night.
You want pancakes, right?
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tsp. chai tea leaves (out of 4 tea bags)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. coarse salt
- 1 ¼ cups low fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
- 1 ½ Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup walnuts
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, chai tea leaves, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, canola oil, brown sugar (if using) and vanilla extract.
- Turn mixer on medium speed and slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry and allow to whisk until batter is smooth.
- Heat a saute pan or cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Pour about ¼ cup batter into the pan. Cook until bubbles start to form on the top; flip and cook another 30-60 seconds, until bottom has browned.
- Stack pancakes and top with vanilla yogurt and walnuts.