Happy Friday, folks!
What a great day for sharing a new, delicious recipe with my friends (that’s you!). It’s absolutely gorgeous outside and that puts me in the mood for something light, fresh and super satisfying. Cue: Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps. They’re light in the sense that there are no buns or bread or anything super carb-y involved. Don’t get me wrong; I absolutely love those things and I absolutely love carbs. So they’re not going anywhere on a permanent basis, but just today I’m in the mood for the lettuce cups. Is that cool?
You can essentially put anything in these little cups (remember the Curried Turkey Salad Lettuce Cups?) to create a light meal, and one of my favorite fillings is cashew chicken. And this isn’t just any cashew chicken. It’s made with my favorite sauce of life: a rendition of my peanut sauce, but instead of peanut butter, we’re using cashew butter. It’s seriously dynamite, and I’m pretty confident that you won’t want or need any other sauce for the rest of eternity. It’s nutty, slightly sweet, spicy and umami – all in one.
What else is there?
Then, the lettuce cups are topped with salty cashews, a generous handful of fresh cilantro and more Sriracha. Your nose’ll be running just a little bit by the end of this meal, but that’s the sign of a great meal.
- 6 Tbsp. cashew butter (or other nut butter)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 3 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1Tbsp. Sriracha or chili garlic sauce
- Zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Splash hot water
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 – 1 ½ lbs. ground chicken
- 1 (10 oz.) bag coleslaw mix
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heads Boston lettuce (or Bibb)
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Handful chopped cashews
- Sriracha, to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cashew sauce ingredients until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil to medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in coleslaw mix and cook 5-6 minutes, until cabbage is wilted and chicken is fully cooked and browned. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in cashew sauce and simmer 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Place lettuce cups on a plate. Spoon chicken mixture into each cup and garnish with cilantro, cashews and Sriracha.