Hey guys! Do you like donuts?
Silly question, I know, but I had to ask. Because today is the day that we all enjoy donuts, so I think you’ll wanna buckle up and spend the next few minutes with me.
Okay so maybe we don’t all actually get donuts, but I’ll give you this delicious recipe and then you can make donuts and eat them! Yay!
But first, you should know that this recipe is extra special. And that’s because it was the 2nd place dessert winner for the American Heart Association’s Take Avocado to Heart recipe contest! And the reason it won is not just because it’s a delicious donut, but because YOU all voted! I seriously cannot thank you enough for being such great supporters of The Gourmet RD and all of the yummy things that come along with it. Thank you thank you thank you!
Whew! So much excitement!
So now I can tell you what makes these donuts delicious (I did promise delicious). They’re
- Made with triple dark chocolate: dark cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips AND they have a chocolatey ganache on top.
- Super moist and remind me of the richest chocolate cake out there (no joke).
- Super adorable and have crispy, crunchy toppings that we all love.
And other good things:
- Made with oat flour, so they’re packed with fiber and are also GF.
- Packed with avocado in both the cake and the ganache (and even if you don’t love avocado, you don’t even know it’s there). It makes the cake extra rich and tender, promises.
There are plenty more reasons to love these donuts, but I think you should be drooling right now.
Yes to donuts!
- 1 ½ cups oat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3 Tbsp. dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. coarse salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed (about ½ cup)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated stevia (or zero calorie sweetener)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup skim milk (or almond or soy milk)
- 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- ⅓ cup pure dark cacao, chopped
- ½ medium ripe avocado, mashed (about ¼ cup)
- 2 Tbsp. skim milk (or almond or milk)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pistachios or almonds
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat avocado and egg, until smooth. Add sugar or stevia and beat until smooth. Once fluffy, whisk in milk and vanilla extract until incorporated.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients while beating on low. Increase the mixed speed to medium and beat until well incorporated. Use a spatula to stir in any remaining dry mixture on the sides or bottom of the bowl.
- Coat a donut baking pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into each donut well about ¾ of the way to the top (about ¼ cup in each), but not covering the donut hole center. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool. Flip them onto a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, microwave dark cacao for 30 seconds on high. Stir until fully melted. Use hand mixer to beat in avocado on high until very smooth, then beat in milk. Pour a tablespoon of glaze onto each donut. Top with nuts and/or coconut and serve.